Welcome

This blog contains thoughts, observations and comments from my experiences past, present and future in the field of special education and Conductive Education. I welcome your input please feel free to comment on anything you read here!

World View


Visitor Map

Friday, April 20, 2012

The future

I spent the week of spring break in Cincinnati with my friend watching him use his ECO to communicate. He blew me away! After only 2 years of practicing and learning the device and his access methods he is so incredibly fast. In fact he was faster using his scanning method than I was accessing the device using direct select.
As well as being incredibly proud of how independent he has become over the last two years, (he is now able to access the Internet, FB, send emails and now also text from a cell phone), it also made me think about the prospects for the students at our school!
While being able to express your wants and needs is incredibly important and a great place to start the communication process, to be able to envision our students interacting with the world at large through the Internet as fully as any 'typically' developing individual is more exciting than I ever imagined!
Contacting friends on FB, arranging dates, chatting about the latest fashion or news events, texting each other and participating so fully in the on line world can ease the frustrations their physical bodies so often put upon them when trying to interact face to face. On line we are all equal!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment