Welcome

This blog contains thoughts, observations and comments from my experiences past, present and future in the field of special education and Conductive Education. I welcome your input please feel free to comment on anything you read here!

World View


Visitor Map

Friday, May 4, 2012

Journal Writing

Journal writing has developed over the past year.
Using a PowerPoint photo album which we update regularly. The students choose a picture they would like to write about.
When we initially started this activity they were free to navigate anywhere within their communication book to create their journal entry. As they have become more proficient they are being encouraged to use their sentence starters more often.
Sentence starters are short common phrases that begin sentences. They increase the speed with which sentences can be generated and decrease the number of navigations required to produce a sentence. They also introduce different tenses so the students can talk about past, present or future events
Examples of sentence starters include:
I like, I am, I want, I am going, I went.
The video below shows a student writing about a photo of herself in fancy dress!

YouTube Video


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:NYC

No comments:

Post a Comment